Kendrick Lamar - DAMN. - FIRST REACTION by Ramzy

I know I haven't really written about music at all on this blog ever since its conception I think, so this will be a first. But that being said, starting off on a Kendrick Lamar-related project is probably all I could hope for so here we go.


Damn (stylized as DAMN.) is the fourth studio album by American rapper Kendrick Lamar. It was released on April 14, 2017, by Top Dawg Entertainment, Aftermath Entertainment and Interscope Records. The album features production from a variety of record producers, including executive producer and Top Dawg Entertainment label-head Anthony "Top Dawg" Tiffith, Sounwave, DJ Dahi, Mike Will Made It and Ricci Riera, as well as production contributions from James Blake, Steve Lacy, BadBadNotGood, Greg Kurstin, The Alchemist, 9th Wonder, and others. The album's lead single, "Humble", released March 30, 2017, debuted at number two on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart and the Canadian Hot 100. [source]


I stumbled upon Kendrick's music some time ago, around five years or so now, right around the time he released "Good Kid, M.A.A.D City", ever since then, he's managed to released back-to-back certified classics with "Good Kid" being the first, and then a few years after, "To Pimp A Butterfly", both albums I've pretty much played countless amounts of times from beginning to end. Have researched and analysed, discussed with others and have learned to appreciate each record's utter profoundness, with gripping narrative interlaced throughout each track which have so much variation from each other album's sound. With the former being a more hard-hitting, street-flavored hiphop, and the second being a more jazz-influenced one, but both without a doubt being top-notch albums, definite classics on their own.


Over the years, I've certainly become a huge fan of the man, to the point where he has pretty much become my favorite rapper of all time, or even at the very least, my number one rapper from this generation. So to say that I've been looking forward to his new album is a sever understatement. I have been itching to get a whiff of his new stuff, what sound he's gonna be throwing at us this time around. Everyone was kind of getting hints that K.Dot was about to drop something soon, and then...one day, near the end of March 2017, he did. This mysterious photo popped up on his Instagram account and other social media outlets under TDE, which was followed by announcement of a new single being released. It was called "The Heart Part IV". The fourth (obviously) part of a long-running, single series of sorts which Kendrick releases...well, every time he's about to drop an album. So everyone pretty much already know what was about to happen soon. And not to mention, that he actually ends the damn song with the lines: "Y'all got 'til April the 7th to get y'all shit together.". Which sent every fan on a spiral in anticipation for the supposed drop on the 7th of April. But, then April 7th came....and went. And the album was still nowhere to be found. Turns out there was a few mishaps or foibles which took place during the album's first supposed released date, but being a veteran of the "Frank Ocean Staircase Gate 2016", what was announced to be a week's worth of wait was a piece of cake. The now confirmed drop date is April 14. Sure, a week's wait of worth? Actually confirmed by the label? No biggie.


Waiting for the drop, I was already planning my day ahead, I was gonna make a reaction video and post it online just for fun and for the hell of it. I made sure to clear out everything, it being a holiday after-all. And then just a day before, I started getting sick. Next day, the 14th, hours before it finally dropped, I felt like dropping too. My nose was all clogged up, I felt dizzy, and had a really high fever, and felt my lungs starting to get filled by mucus....I wasn't sure if I could even get up to use the computer and play the album. But, I powered through the sickness, cleared up what I could, and set up my camera, and the music, and hit the play button. And below, is the resulting video.

I would really appreciate it if you took a bit of time to check the video out. You'll see that no matter how weak you may be, the power of art really does transcend physical limitations, and just make you do things you never thought possible in your current state. Hahaha.


Another thing though, it would be so much better if you took a good listen to the album beforehand.


It's currently taking over the Global Top 50 charts which is insane. Every song from the album is in the top 50, if not, top 20 or 10! Definitely check it out, then watch the video, or do whatever you wanna do, just be sure to give both of those your time. I would really appreciate it.

Thank you so, so much for reading along. I totally did not intend for this to go as long as it did, but man, when you start writing about something that just has such an effect an you, it really takes over. Much love to Kendrick. Much love to everyone.


Check out my social-network accounts for more cool stuff!
            





Tags:

Share:

10 comments

  1. Hahaha makatawa man kos nawng nimo uy sa imo reaction video. I'm not a fan of Kendrick Lamar, but maka relate jud ko'g ingn ana nga reaction when I hear my favorite musician's album or song for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never new Kendrick Lamat existed until now. His Damn album is perfect for headbangin' & partyrockin. I'll try to play it in my room then :)

    By the way, genuine keu imong reaction video Ramz. Hahaha lingawa nako nagtan-aw uyp. Goodbye 17 mins :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a fan of KL (haha made that up na lang) because I haven't really heard his songs in full ever since or maybe I had but didn't know it was him? I'll give the guy a chance (hahaha JK!). But kudos to you for creating that video reaction even though you're barely breathing. If something or someone has an effect on me, I'd probably be all out too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha the reaction though. I also do get excited and feel over-the-top whenever my favorite artist(s) drops a new track.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude, this is so thorough! You are really passionate about this. I hope to see more posts like these in the future. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The reaction was priceless! Hahahhah anyway, tbh wala jud ko nakaila ani niya. Daghan kaayo kog butang makat-onan sa imong blog Ram that i've never heard before. Haha This is one awesome blog! 😂

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been a while since I've read something about music stuff. Nice job with this, Ramzy! Gotta give this a listen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Geez. I mean... DAMN! Damn, Kendrick. Always lit (literally? haha!) I almost memorize na iyang Humble lyrics. Hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is this the basketball player sauna? Dang! What happened to the world?

    ReplyDelete