RAMZY REVIEWS: "Beauty and the Beast"

An adaptation of the Disney fairy tale about a monstrous-looking prince and a young woman who fall in love.


Before anything, I would like to give a shoutout and thanks to SM Seaside City Cebu and bisayashortfilms for inviting me to an advanced screening of the movie in SM Seaside's Centerstage cinema. I really enjoyed watching the movie there. The screen is quite huge and the sound is really impressive so if you're going to watch this, or any other movie, be sure to catch it there!


The first thing I would very much like to mention is how beautiful everything looked. The budget is definitely there to no surprise, since this film happens to be made by Disney. The wonderful set-pieces give life to the magic that the movie has.

The music is, pretty good, although, to be quite honest, I am not really the biggest fan of musicals, I just find myself cringing a little bit whenever they do those big singing and dancing numbers where the main character is prancing about and passing by every person in town while belting out tunes that could honestly just be regular conversations in another movie and then it builds up into that particular sequence's climax and everyone breaks into a well-choreographed and organized sing and dance number. The effort and quality is there, and if you don't have the same reaction as me towards what I just described, then you're going to be delighted because the movie is ripe with it. That being said, although I kinda lean towards the opposite way of those kinds of sequences by nature, I still did end up enjoying the whole thing in general. The musical aspect of the movie is far from being bad, don't get me wrong.


The film's CGI looks great, although a bit off in some scenes, particularly those revolving around the Beast. I guess he still looks too fake or cartoony. He's animated well, but it's just the lighting or rendering of that character that makes it a bit off. Everything else, looks fantastic.



As for the performances, the supporting cast is enjoyable and does well. The give the movie a nice air of fun and life, which leads me of course, to the pair that gives this movie its name, the Beauty, or Belle, played by Emma Watson, and the Beast or Prince Adam (which is never mentioned) played by Dan Stevens, who plays the character pretty alright, I mean, you don't really even get to see his actual facial expressions until, spoilers, the end of the movie when he finally regains his beautiful human form. But overall, his performance is just fine, nothing bad, but also doesn't really resound with me that well. And then there's Emma Watson as Belle who...kinda feels a bit stiff, really. Her acting, ever since the Harry Potter movie, which all I've seen her in I think, has never really been the most colorful. She's good, she's pretty charming and is absolutely stunning. She kinda does her thing, but still happens to fall flat, unfortunately. I feel like the character Belle could absolutely have a bit more life to her. She's not bad at all, but she could honestly be better, and this is coming from a huge Emma Watson of almost two decades now.


The story is, what it is. It's an adaptation after all, a pretty safe one at that, which describes the movie as a whole and a lot of other Disney films. They play it safe, don't take any risks, and don't really break and ground. The movies are competent enough, the budget and quality is there, yet, just feels a tad artificial or fabricated. But, if you're already a fan of it, and have been anticipating the movie for a while, you're still gonna enjoy and maybe love it. You will not be wasting your time as the movie is decent enough. Nothing too compelling though...it's just okay.

 You may also digest this review in video form!


Personal rating: 6.5/10

Check out my social-network accounts for more cool stuff!
            

Share:

14 comments

  1. Perhaps most people are looking forward to this just because it's a childhood favorite and it's Disney, plus it's Enma Watson. I have to agree though that Beast is too cartoony. And he does look scary to me. LOL. I'm also not really a fan of musicals so I can understand why you'd cringe with the singing and dancing around town. Haha. It's a common scene in most films like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just curious on who played Beast and yeah, I agree with Rea, Beast is too cartoony. Not much of a beast after all. Wasnt able to watch the movie on its premier but I think I can wait for its really at YIFY's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I cant think of anyone else more deserving for the role of Belle than Emma, there are some wobbly moments when her performance starts to get awkward. Overall, it's still a stunning live-action retelling, created with the utmost respect for its original source material.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd also agree, the face of the Beast and also the face of Mrs. Pots is too cartoony. Though I haven't watched the movie, I'd still be looking forward to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was supposed to watch this with my friends last week before they disowned me. Hahaha! I am not that hyped up to watch this though kay adaptation ra pd bitaw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. definitely a temptaion. I was abot to watch the cartoon version before because of my sister but yeah. This is also worth to be watched. :) Emma Watsons <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Beauty and the Beast! I cried several times gyud hehehe. I have to agree with you on the CGI of the Beast. I wish they used prosthetics instead of entirely CGI. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wala pako kita and I almost always do trust your ratings. Ugh. I was even looking forward to this jud baya!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still have to watch this. Lucky you! You've watched the premier.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A friend keeps inviting me to watch this movie. I am not hyped too on watching this movie as it is an adaptation but yeah, the fact that it is a childhood favorite made me still look forward to watch it soon. Plus Emma Watson is there. I don't mind the cartoony looks of the beast, we're still gonna watch it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I heard nga it was just an re-enactment of its predecessor. Like halos same nalang ang movements and frames. Mutan-aw lang gihapon ko uy kay wala ra ba koy childhood. :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry, just not a fan of Beauty and the Beast. Love the Get Out film you recommended!

    ReplyDelete