5 GREAT MOVIES THAT PROVE WE NEED MORE R-RATED BLOCKBUSTERS


Alright, I'm saying this right out of the gate. Can we please go back to having R-Rated movies with actual budgets? Or more of them to be more specific. Now, having a movie contain blood, swearing and maybe nudity does not really make it a better film better, that I know. But what it does help bring into the table is realism. People in real life swear, they bleed, they have nipples (what a shock! I know). It makes for an all around more realistic and grounded film. To think that a movie like "Terminator 2" would have trouble being made like it originally is today is such a shame. Specially since that movie is hands-down one of the best of all time. Movies are art. And art, almost at all times, should be pushing the envelope, pushing boundaries. And having a movie be too safe, and comfortable just downright ruins that potential before it even gets going. 

The recent trend if you haven't noticed is films being made to cater to as many people as possible, which includes kids, which in turn means you can't have any mature content in it, making some films feel stale sometimes. The issue seems to be that studios just don't feel confident with restricting a movie's audience by making it be for a specific subset of an audience exclusively. They're afraid that films that do not have the potential to reach that wide of an audience won't make any money, in turn, watering down a movie's quality. So below, I will be listing down a few films that I would say, dared to be, well, daring. And did their own thing, while still doing great, both in quality, and financially.

1. "Kingsman: The Secret Service"
"A spy organization recruits an unrefined, but promising street kid into the agency's ultra-competitive training program, just as a global threat emerges from a twisted tech genius."



2. "Deadpool"

"A fast-talking mercenary with a morbid sense of humor is subjected to a rogue experiment that leaves him with accelerated healing powers and a quest for revenge."






3. "Logan"
"In the near future, a weary Logan cares for an ailing Professor X somewhere on the Mexican border. However, Logan's attempts to hide from the world and his legacy are upended when a young mutant arrives, pursued by dark forces."





4. "Mad Max: Fury Road"

"A woman rebels against a tyrannical ruler in postapocalyptic Australia in search for her home-land with the help of a group of female prisoners, a psychotic worshipper, and a drifter named Max."



5. "John Wick" & "John Wick: Chapter 2"
"An ex-hitman comes out of retirement to track down the gangsters that took everything from him. And then after returning to the criminal underworld to repay a debt, John Wick discovers that a large bounty has been put on his life."


Now of course, I'm not saying that every  movie should have an R rating. If you read the title again, you will see that I am merely suggesting that the few movies I listed happen to still be of great quality, while being successful in the box office, and having an R rating. I really hope Hollywood gets more of a grip and starts producing more quality content that dare to be different, represent artists' visions instead of a panel of executives, and not just pander to as big of an audience as they can in order to make bank. Thanks for reading along. I'll see you at the movies!

Check out my social-network accounts for more cool stuff!
            

Share:

9 comments

  1. Well, I agree. You totally have a point. Although I love feel-good movies and chick flicks during cold weekend nights, I do occasionally watch "intense" movies such as mentioned above. Also, even though I'm not a movie buff, I can definitely feel if a movie is half-baked. So yes, quality is the best policy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't mind if there are movies that target a certain audience. This would make those who normally don't go to the theaters since they hate the noise being made by children. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point! It has been a while since I last watched in the theater. When you just rely on DVDs and downloads, rating do not matter. There are so many realistic indie films and usually they get your new favorite rating (R) but they usually do poorly in the box-office and some of their scenes cause some major uproar in some sectors. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A little more bloody scenes doesnt hurt the butt. I guess these movies missed this part. For me, Kingsman is the worst on this list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe John Wick and its sequel also deserve a spot in this list.

    After the success of these films, both critical and box office, Im not going to be surprised if the next batch of superhero or action films will get on the bandwagon. Im not going to complain though. R-rated films will always have a soft spot in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I CANNOT BELIEVE I forgot about the John Wick films! Totally updating this list. Holy crap, thanks for the heads up!

      And yeah, totally wouldn't mind having more R-rated films around.

      Delete
  6. I agree with your list.
    But one thing that caught me...
    Kingsman was rated R? I never knew.
    Guess this shows that I have zero ideas of movie ratings.
    As long as the film is entertaining and good, then.. leggo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watched all of these movies and I definitely have to agree with your point. But it's sad that these movies are available in pirated DVDs that young children can watch :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. John Wick and Logan movies deserve a standing ovation. Too bad I was not able to watch this yet. I guess I'll have to wait for the torrent I guess.

    ReplyDelete