THERE IS MUCH MORE TO "MOONLIGHT" THAN THE DISASTROUS OSCAR ANNOUNCEMENT. HERE'S WHY.


It's a shame that the biggest thing people seem to have taken out of the 89th Academy Awards is the fuck-up that happened during the announcement of arguably the biggest award of the night, the award for Best Picture. Which if you still haven't seen, you may watch it unfold here:


But yeah, aside from the cringe-fest that went on there, there is a lot more to the fantastic movie "Moonlight" that should be highlighted and be talked about by the people.

For one, the movie is the first film with an all-black cast and also the first LGBTQ-focused film to claim Best Picture amid a surreal disarray that hopefully will not overshadow the movie's historic accomplishment. It managed to bag three Oscars that night actually. It got Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Supporting Actor for Mahershala Ali, and of course, the Best Picture. All of that, for a film that could not be more anti-Hollywood. As the story of a closeted black man struggling with his sexuality during three significant points of his life in Miami, Moonlight is devoid of any Oscar bait. As it has always been apparent that Hollywood tends to love movies that...well, are about Hollywood, or the "business". I totally believe it deserved the award more, as it managed to defeat Hollywood's self-congratulatory tendency on the strength of wonderfully orchestrated subtlety.

The film's greatest strengths lie in its nuances. In another way to put it: the things that go unsaid; the things implied. And boy does it play those strengths to an impressive degree. Both in terms of its writing, and its masterful performances. "Moonlight", created with no regard for all the glamour and pizazz of Hollywood almost seemed like it would only be given the place as a runner-up at best, which made its win simply a colossal affair. Most specially because the movie stands in such a harsh contrast to the more favored "La La Land", which is pretty much a film made by Hollywood, for Hollywood. All in all, the minority and its voices standing tall in front of the admittedly prejudiced congregation of Hollywood, is a monumental feat. So big ups to the people behind that fantastic movie. A well-deserved win. 

Also, just as a PS, I'm not saying that "La La Land" is a bad film in any way, because I happen to absolutely love it. "Moonlight", as a film, I believe just deserves to be acknowledged more significantly, specially for its numerous strengths. You may read my review of the movie here for a more detailed analysis of the film itself. No spoilers, of course! That will be it for this post. Thank you so much for reading!


Check out my social-network accounts for more cool stuff!
            

Tags:

Share:

12 comments

  1. I haven't heard about Moonlight too, until the recent Oscar ruckus. Also read you review about this movie and I think I'm going to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If not for the Oscars blunder, I wouldn't have heard of Moonlight. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly just heard about Moonlight when the news about it during the Oscars hit the internet. But I'm pretty much interested in watching it because #OscarWinner haha. I really cringed during the disastrous announcement. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After the Ms. U fiasco, I really thought people would be more careful but err, here we go again. LOL.

    I will definitely watch Moonlight as it is very intriguing. I'm also very happy that it won Best Picture. It's about time this kind of movie gets recognized in Hollywood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen this movie yet nor heard of it before. But I think it deserves a watch during movie nights. The buzz in the Oscars was a Steve Harvey moment and it was lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always think that this film is more deserving than La La Land. It is a breakthrough win and hopefully people will remember this for its story and not for the epic blunder in the Award's Night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Because of what had happened with the Oscars, I was able to hear about the moonlight. I wanted to know the story of it. I want to watch this movie because I think it's worth-it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't got to watch any movies lately or any movie trailers due to demanding work and appointments. If not for this review, I wouldn't know about moonlight tbh. Based on what you've said, I am intrigued by this ruckus, and I guess I'm going to watch the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haven't seen La La Land but I agree that Moonlight deserves the win. Oscars was just trying to get more views (that's why they made a fiasco). Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I watched La La Land and I have a copy of Moonlight na. Will watch this after this commenting. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Was personally rooting for Arrival in the Best Picture race, but still glad that Moonlight came out on top. I have nothing against La La Land; it's basically a love letter to Hollywood. But it's not enough for it to bag the most coveted award of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am really curious about Moonlight because of the LGBT theme. Me wanna watch soon. :)

    ReplyDelete