RAMZY REVIEWS: "Moonlight"

A look at three defining chapters in the life of Chiron, a young black man growing up in Miami. His epic journey to manhood is guided by the kindness, support and love of the community that helps raise him.


So this is a movie that came out roughly three months ago at this point. I've heard great things about, but for unfortunate reasons, I was never able to see because first, it never came out to local theaters to no surprise, and second, after waiting for it to pop up on alternative sources, I kinda just forgot about it. But, thanks to its recent win at the Oscars no matter how disastrous that whole thing was, I finally got reminded about watching it, and so did a lot of people it would seem. I won't discuss any further with regards to that whole debacle as I'm here to talk about the Academy Award-winning movie.


So for the move itself. Man, I'm kind of having trouble where to begin. I guess I would begin with saying that I really, really liked this movie. The main character, Chiron is quite a complicated one and at the same time, is quite simple, very grounded and humanized. I am not really certain if I can go down on how the character is, in terms of his actual characteristics or the things that he went through which in turn, shaped him because some people might find it to be a bit of a spoiler, so I think I'd rather not go there. But the film's protagonist and of course, it's supporting cast is filled with some fantastic performances.

"Moonlight" is just quite a simple film from a plot perspective, but where it becomes complex is when it goes into the human condition. Its characters who are some of the most actualized and fleshed out in any movie that I've ever seen, making the film one of the most human ones I've seen in quite along while. That was really just a damn good film. I am not really sure I can put into more words why. It just is. A must watch for me.


Personal rating: 9/10

Check out my social-network accounts for more cool stuff!
            

Share:

8 comments

  1. Basing from how you described and reviewed the movie, I think I'mma go and look for another source to watch this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I havent finished watching the movie the other since I need to go to the office. Upon learning it won the Best Picture, I am eager to finish the movie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only heard of this movie when it won the Best Picture. Now it intrigues me if this movie really did deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm now curious with the protagonist, Chiron. I still haven't got the reason or idea why it's called Moonlight, maybe I haven't seen the trailer yet. But yeah, I hope I could watch it sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to everyone involved in Moonlight! Despite that weird blunder at the Oscars, this was a well-deserved win!

    Do you happen to have a link to your alternative source? I want to watch it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chiron's character is quite intriguing. Can't wait to find an alternative source to watch this movie myself. Plus the personal rating of 9/10 convinced me to watch this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, based on how you described it, the movie seems very intriguing. Might consider watching this myself. Erm, if I finally find the time, that is. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete