RAMZY REVIEWS: "Saving Sally"


In a typical teen film about love, monsters, and gadgets, Marty, an aspiring comic-book artist, secretly loves his gadget inventor best friend, Sally, and fantasizes of saving her from the big bad world.


Right off the bat, I'd like to state that this is probably the most dazzling thing I've ever seen in Philippine cinema. There are some sequences that look a bit off, but if you're familiar with the long, and arduous process that it took for this movie to be made, and shipped out to theaters nationwide, you'd really be more generous and understand. With that being said though, the movie overall, looks quite charming, vibrant, amusing, and wonderful. That is in fact, the very highlight of this movie for me and what stands out the most about it. The visuals. You can really see the hard work poured into it over the years and you begin to appreciate everything about it as you watch one scene rocket onto the next one. From the sketches, to the astounding landscape and views, I couldn't help but admire what was being shown to me. It's hard to call it right away because of recency bias, but I think I'd be comfortable enough in saying that this is one of the most gorgeous films I've ever seen, period. Its quirky style of combining 2D and 3D animation with live-action acting is hit and miss in my opinion, but as a whole, still manages to give of such a fun vibe so I would still call it a positive. But other than that, I couldn't also help but think how it would've looked maybe even better had this movie just been fully animated. But then again, that would make it lose its utter uniqueness, so let's just put a pin on that on the "What if?" corkboard.


The music and score happens to also be quite good and definitely adds a lot to the distinctly colorful feel that the movie goes for. As for the performances though, I would say, that almost everyone was pretty great. Rhian Ramos as this film's Manic Pixie Dream Girl is pretty great and is in fact my favorite character in the movie, she plays off pretty well and serves as a great damsel that the movies male lead needs to err....save. While still being strong in her own right. The side characters-the lead's parents, boss, even including the recognizably phallic rival to our main guy give of pretty decent performances. But...and this is a big "but...the lead character, the movie's protagonist, Marty played by Enzo Marcos is just...boring, and dull, and flat. In face, it wouldn't be an understatement to say that I just didn't like him and his character brought down the move for me unfortunately. His performance as this movies lead just isn't remarkable enough, he's pretty wooden and bland that I couldn't help but kinda roll my eyes and facepalm during some of his scenes. I know that the scenes were filmed quite a while ago and who knows, the actor may have gotten significantly better now, but or this movie specifically, he's just pretty bad for a lead as much as I would not wish for that to be the truth...it just is. This movie could've been so much better had it not been or him, really. My judgement, being purely based of the countless films I've seen in my albeit short lifetime, but I'd say are enough for me to form a solid opinion on what makes a performance good or bad. I don't really wanna bring the guy down but it just honestly frustrates me how his acting in it alone actually made me like the movie less. If you've seen if yourself, and think otherwise, do let me know why. I'm the one to always own up to his mistakes and if I am severely mistaken about this one, I see no problem with being corrected.


With all of that being said, if one were to ask me now if I would recommend watching this. I would say...HELL YES. Not only to support our local scene, but just because I believe that this film deserves the money and is so worth it to watch in the big screen. It's a decent film overall with pretty quirky and fun enough story and characters, plus of course, the fantastic animation and visuals.

 Personal rating: 7.5/10

Check out my social-network accounts for more cool stuff!
            

Share:

9 comments

  1. Gaahhh, my friend and I were supposed to "save sally" last Thursday buutttt SM in GenSan didn't show it anymore, huhu! Well, I've always liked Rhian's acting (except when she was really starting with Richard Gutz, lol). As for Enzo, hmm I think he's not so much of an actor and probably didn't appear in too many movies or on TV before (except hosting 5 & Up I guess) which explains why his acting was bland and flat. Maybe no to less workshops for him? Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saving Sally is I guess one of the best animated film in the Philippines. I would've wanted to watch it but I don't have much time. :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. *frenetic clapping

    I absolutely agree! Wala jud ko nagmahay ni watch ko ani nga movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really? Hmm.. I never get a chance to watch this movie.. or even all entries of MMFF.. but hopefully I can get a clear copy of Saving Sally..

    ReplyDelete
  5. It took a lot of skill to make that movie. I hope the industry will recognize the skill of our animators and start using them to improve our movies. Hopefully also Hollywood and Japan would notice the guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I'm not a huge fan of animated movies since then, but I heard that this movie is truly a good animated movie that our country have ever had. Your review rhyme with other people's perspective about this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't watch this movie and happy to know I convinced a number of people to watch the show.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really wanted to watch this movie but wala nakaya sa time... i heard a lot of good reviews about this movie that is why na sad kog samot. 😭

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really liked this movie a lot! Save for Enzo, this movie has many good qualities in it! If ever cinemas would re-release this movie or it comes out on DVD or digital copy, then I highly suggest you buy!

    ReplyDelete