DID ONLINE THEORIES REALLY RUIN SHOWS THIS YEAR?


So there's this article over at Vox that is putting a spotlight on an odd phenomenon which isn't quite new, but has certainly gotten more prominent these last few years. It is how fans of certain TV shows who scrutinize the littlest details from their beloved television programs are basically ruining the experience of watching the show not only for fellow watchers, but even the people who make it. With the biggest shows off the top of my head being Game of Thrones, Mr. Robot, and only recently, Westworld.

The article argues that "websites discussing TV are the primary drivers of this phenomenon". And while it is correct that the sheer amount of websites dedicated to talking about TV have never been higher, I still strongly agree with the sentiment that one--specially if they are sensitive towards spoilers or generally knowing way too many details about a certain program they are following--would probably be better off staying far, far away and never bother reading anything that might ruin the show for them. But alas, I truly understand how tempting that kind of thing still is. Still though. If you're not the type that likes to stay blind and have the surprises and twists catch you off guard, stopping on going to forums is probably a good idea. Just some friendly advice.

Image result for battle of the bastards

Personally though. as someone who went through all the shows aforementioned above in the same vein. In that I always, always, went to discussion forums after every episode and then joined in on the very extensive talks that just dissect as much of the episode as there is and try to elaborate and decipher its merits. Now I'm not saying that I prefer to be spoiled, as I most certainly do not. In fact, whenever someone recommends something to me, I'm good with that person just saying that it's really good, and nothing more. Hell, I try not to watch movie trailers nowadays, even.

I definitely like going into whatever I'm watching as blind as I could be, as that method of media consumption has brought about the most memorable moments for me. But I don't know, it's just different when it comes to TV shows. I go into those threads simply wanting to read others' interpretation of what just took place in the episode we all just watched, but then as I dive deeper, I find myself reading outlandish theories that range from being quite plausible and something I wouldn't really be surprised with if it came true, to other stuff that are balls-to-the-wall ridiculous, but if you really might just be true. Now I would rather not point out any examples of crazy theories that actually turned out to be true as I hate spoiling things for people. But there are more than a handful of them. Still though, as someone who doesn't enjoy knowing anything about what I'm watching beforehand, I still quite enjoy the almost routine thing of going theory-diving. It's kinda ironic even. Haha.


To cap things off, I would just like to reiterate the point I was trying to get across at the beginning of this post. It is that if you're looking for a solution towards not getting spoiled by discussion forums. Simple, don't go to them and avoid them like the plague. But I am aware that sometimes, there are things that are just out of our control. Whether it be articles popping up in your feed that have the most spoiler-y thumbnails or titles, or have it be an annoying friend that will just not stop freaking out about a big plot event and just ruin it for everyone who has still yet to catch up on that episode. But I digress. I might talk about that in another post soon. For now, I'd like to ask you what your opinion is on the matter at hand. Have you been watching shows recently that may have been affected by this occurrence? 

Check out my social-network accounts for more cool stuff!
            

Share:

8 comments

  1. I totally agree with this. That's why maglagot ko maminaw ug mu ingon ug na spoil sla after sila nag open ug article. Hala ha, nganung gi basa man pd nimo. Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I agree. When I watch something, a movie, series or whatsoever, I don't research it preserve the element of surprise. hahha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually watch movies.. sometimes look for the rate of the people if they like it or not.. no more explanation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It ultimately depends on the TV show and the fanbase surrounding it. If the show encourages discussion then why not? This DOES NOT apply to movies though. You would lose a big reason why you should watch a certain movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rarely watch TV shows anymore but during the time I was into it, I really do not mind. I still can form my own opinions about things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. On my part, I like watching movies without me knowing what to expect cause I want to keep the excitement within just like when i travel. I'll cross the other side of the bridge when I'm there and would figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know but I really love to watch trailers. I gets me excited to watch the full movie. It creates a sense of curiosity and excitement. At least I have something to look forward to when I will be watching the whole thing. I would also love some recommendations from trusted people. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, I'm a fan of spoilers and I check them out before watching anything. Reviews, for me, are better if spoilers are included. Of course, there should be a note.

    ReplyDelete