12 MOVIES YOU MUST WATCH THIS CHRISTMAS!



Nope, none of that "my true love sent to me" crap here! It's all movies here to get you in that proper Christmas mood! Whether it be your classic, comfy put on the TV and sit back in the couch with your cookies and hot coco, or something crazy that may seem totally unrelated to the holiday spirits, but dammit it's set during Christmas which technically makes it a proper film for this time of the year and no one is ever going to change my opinion towards that. And to start it all of...

1. Die Hard
"John McClane, officer of the NYPD, tries to save his wife Holly Gennaro and several others that were taken hostage by German terrorist Hans Gruber during a Christmas party at the Nakatomi Plaza in Los Angeles."

Pretty much my all-time favorite Christmas movie. And as I've argued above, this is an actual Christmas movie and will always be over my dead body. One of the biggest classic action films pretty much catapulting Bruce Willis into stardom. As well as the late Alan Rickman's Hollywood (or maybe even film) debut! It is compact, runs tight and just has enough stakes to make you feel a certain level of tension as it culminates to a very explosive conclusion. I watch it every year. And yes, during every Christmas.

2. Tokyo Godfathers
"On Christmas Eve, three homeless people living on the streets of Tokyo find a newborn baby among the trash and set out to find its parents."

Saw this one for the very first time last year and definitely loved it. Directed by one of my favorite directors in anime, the late, and great Satoshi Kon. It's dynamic, vibrant, charming and shamelessly magical. I love it. Definitely my favorite Christmas-related anime. But also happens to be the only one I've seen so if you know other anime movies set during the holidays. Do let me know! I'd really appreciate it! :)
3. Home Alone 1 & 2
"An 8-year old troublemaker must protect his home from a pair of burglars when he is accidentally left home alone by his family during Christmas vacation."
    

I have faint memories of my early childhood of me and my sister, along with our mom, visiting our uncle's video rental place when I was in first grade or something. And me picking out the VHS tapes for these two movies right here. As a kid, one of your favorite things to watch aside from cartoons, would most probably have been movies that had kids as leads. Specially a movie with such a witty, and sarcastic brat that just wreaks havoc on bad guys trying their hardest to get him. It's such a classic, specially for my generation as I'd bet a lot of other millenials grew up with these movies righ here.

4. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
"The Griswold family's plans for a big family Christmas predictably turn into a big disaster."


Another one that I saw just last year! It's a bit old now, but the type of slapstick and crazy humor that Chevy Chase and the family kind of runs along with has dated pretty well! It's still quite hilarious and is such a great installation to the "National Lampoon's" movie franchise.

5. It's A Wonderful Life
"An angel helps a compassionate but despairingly frustrated businessman by showing what life would have been like if he never existed."
A definite, definite classic. I mean, you would probably not get people talking about your movie 60 freaking years after it came out if it wasn't any good, right?? Because this one, after all this decades is still quite a fantastic film. It just embodies the spirit of the Christmas holidays so well. And also happens to be great to see if you're feeling a little bit stressed out during the holidays. It delivers a great reminder you that you have impacted the world and the people in it, and it always makes me appreciate what I have tremendously more. Such a fantastic movie.

6. Muppets Christmas Carol
"The Muppet characters tell their version of the classic tale of an old and bitter miser's redemption on Christmas Eve."

Another one of my go-to's every year. I mean, who doesn't love The Muppets? Well, probably those who haven't seen any of them, but if you're familiar with them, then odds are, you are probably quite fond of these immortal ensemble of puppets. This movie captures the spirit of Christmas quite well as with all good movies for the holidays, it's perfectly entertaining, and just simply a great movie overall.

7. Elf
"After inadvertently wreaking havoc on the elf community due to his ungainly size, a man raised as an elf at the North Pole is sent to the U.S. in search of his true identity."

Alright, so I grew up on a lot of Will Ferrell's stuff. From his tenure in "SNL", to the legendary Ron Burgundy in "Anchorman" to his side-splittingly hilarious dynamic with John C. Reily in "Step Brother". So it wouldn't be a surprise to have his Christmas comedy about being a  Hilarious, heartwarming, and rich with Christmas themes.

8. Love, Actually
"Follows the lives of eight very different couples in dealing with their love lives in various loosely interrelated tales all set during a frantic month before Christmas in London, England."
"God only knows where I'd be without you"
I mean, I'm probably the farthest away from being that song's demographic yet I still sing along to it whenever I think about this movie. This film contains such a royal British cast that just carries the different plot-lines so well. A sweet, heartwarming movie about romance, and finding the magic of love, as well as the holiday spirits.

9. Jingle All The Way
"A father vows to get his son a Turbo Man action figure for Christmas, however, every store is sold out of them, and he must travel all over town and compete with everybody else in order to find one."
Watching this back then when I was a little kid. I wanted nothing, and I mean NOTHING more than to get my hands on a Turbo Man myself. Hell, I even had tons of crayon drawings of the figure for a while after seeing it. Just about everything about this movie is great. The cast is amazing, and the movie is filled with so much fun moments that just evokes happiness! Isn't that what Christmas is about after all? Also, side-note: I am currently looking into getting myself a freaking Turbo Man just to fulfill childhood dreams.

10. A Christmas Carol
"An animated retelling of Charles Dickens' classic novel about a Victorian-era miser taken on a journey of self-redemption, courtesy of several mysterious Christmas apparitions."
A Christmas Carol Movie Poster
A good, albeit mature, adaptation of a timeless classic that sees the man himself, Jim Carry in a ton of roles. This one has its flaws here and there, yet still manages to form a coherent film overall. It's not quite as festive as you would probably expect, and happens to be a darker version of the story and its characters, it's wonderfully executed that almost every scene could probably do well as a Victorian-era illustration or painting.

11. Gremlins
"A boy inadvertently breaks three important rules concerning his new pet and unleashes a horde of malevolently mischievous monsters on a small town."
Gremlins Movie Poster
Do you have movies from childhood that just scared the bejeesus out of you? This is one of those movies for me! Specially that toilet scene... Holy crap, little me couldn't go to the toilet without acting all paranoid the whole time for like months because of that movie. Hahaha. Looking back at it now though, I just find it hilarious. And I just love it so much, mostly because of nostalgic reasons. It's funny, a bit scary and is quite entertaining!

12. Batman Returns
"When a corrupt businessman and the grotesque Penguin plot to take control of Gotham City, only Batman can stop them, while the Catwoman has her own agenda."

Batman Returns Movie Poster

Whaaat? A Batman movie for Christmas? Why yes my dear child. This is actually a Christmas movie. Although it has that weird, Tim Burton-flavor to it, it still happens to technically be a holiday movie! This was from a time where superhero films weren't as big of a thing as they are now, but it actually is quite a decent movie on its own. It has a a lot of emotion to it and even has villains that have quite a depth to them. You can really feel Tim Burton's brand in this movie because of his signature unusual style that is pretty great when it works. And in this, it really does.

Bonus: Star Wars: Rogue One
"The Rebellion makes a risky move to steal the plans for the Death Star, setting up the epic saga to follow."

Yes, the Star Wars franchise are now set up around the holidays, completing Disney's box-office takeover with the Marvel movies coming out during summer, and the films from a galaxy far, far away set to come out during Christmas time for the next few years. I'm not complaining though. Which is why I listed this one right here! Last year kickstarted the brand new trend of Star Wars films coming out during the holidays. And now we have the prequel/spinoff movie, and next year, Episode VIII. So much Star Wars in the near horizon! 

Aaand that pretty much wraps up this post! I really hope you guys manage to watch at least a handful of the movies I listed here. I tried to cover a much as I could so you may just pick out a genre depending on how you're feeling. Whether it be comedy, horror, or just the magical, classic Christmas movie! And lastly, I know I may be leaving out some others, but I just went with personal preference for this list so if there are others out there you'd like to point out, do leave a comment stating what that movie is! I may not have seen it yet, so I would love to check it out!

Check out my social-network accounts for more cool stuff!
            


Share:

3 comments

  1. Nice recommendation but out of 12.. I only watched 3..hahaha gonna download it now..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sly move you did there, Ramzy! Anyways, I STILL haven't watched Rogue One! Where can I still watch it now? Hmmmm

    ReplyDelete