RAMZY REVIEWS: "Kubo and the Two Strings"


Kubo lives a quiet, normal life in a small shoreside village until a spirit from the past turns his life upside down by re-igniting an age-old vendetta. This causes all sorts of havoc as gods and monsters chase Kubo who, in order to survive, must locate a magical suit of armor once worn by his late father, a legendary Samurai warrior.


So, I was supposed to watch this like a month or so ago when it initially came out here exclusively at Robinsons Mall's theaters. But the problem was, that since I guess the movie didn't really do that well, it got pulled from the theaters a week or so after coming out leaving me kind of upset and forced to watch and write a review for a different movie instead, since I was already in the theaters.

Hands down, I was really impressed by this movie. And that's saying something since I went in with high expectations after hearing so many good things about several weeks before it even came out here, as it was released two months prior in the US. From beginning to end it's beautiful, really touching, hilarious and really, really fun. It was familiar, yet always surprising. Quite possibly the animated best movie I've seen this year. Kubo and the Two Strings I would say, is a must watch. The story is deeply embedded in Japanese folklore, borrowing many mythical elements from Japan's cultural roots. The visuals are totally mind blowing. Action sequences, set design and cinematography are quite stunning. At its very core, it is an emotional story which surrounds themes regarding family, mortality, and the passage of memory. Specially when you get to think about the whole picture after seeing it and just understand the meaning of it all, like for instance, the message behind the movie's title. It really is some deep stuff.

I really can't recommend this film enough. It's too bad that the movie isn't in the theaters anymore as I really do believe it deserves to make money for the small studio it came out from. I have to say that was one of, if not the, most beautiful animated movies I've ever seen. Again, a definite must-watch. I hope it reaps a lot of Oscars next year.


 Personal rating: 9/10

Check out my social-network accounts for more cool stuff!
            

Share:

13 comments

  1. I have never seen the trailer nor heard about this movie. If it is THAT good from what you're saying, then they didn't deserve to be neglected like that. It sucks when there is a really good movie that has been neglected by most people and are in favor of cliche, with overrated movie actors. Tsk-tsk-tsk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to check the trailer but sounds like something my family would enjoy watching on a Sunday night. Yup, too bad it was pulled out. The movie industry is such a complicated and risky business/investment but coming up with something like this should still be considered an achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you're review made me want to watch it. This one is underrated. Never heard of a trailer or in cinemas of this. Hope I can find someone who has a copy of it so that I can watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard of this movie until now. Will watch the trailer after this. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. GAAAAAH! I really wanted to watch this movie! I need to find some way to watch this amazing movie! I will have to ask you Ramzy. Hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 9/10?! This good?! Wow. Can I have a copy please? Hehehe! Animated films are taking a bold turn to creating better story-lines now. Such a feat to look out to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just had a copy of this movie and will definitely watch kay dako gyod chance magka-Oscar next year! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Based on your personal ratings, it seems that this movie is incredibly awesome:)I'm sure my son will enjoy this animated film :) Thanks for this Ramz.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woah! My friend has a copy of this one and I was like.. deadma lang. Should I have known that you rated it as 9/10, I had ask a copy of it in a heartbeat!
    It's not too late though, as i am asking for a copy as of this writing. :)

    Thanks for this review Ram, guess I will be reading and waiting for all your posts as my guide what to watch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I let my daughter watch this while I was working haha. Sadly, I only really saw the end part. I was expecting it to be similar to Fantastic Mr. Fox being stop motion and all but it really wasn't. Nonetheless, I think the ending (and thus the overall plot) was great. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I rarely watch animated movies except for Disney movies and Pixlr. But I might give this a try ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I REALLY REALLY FIND THIS MOVIE ADORABLE! I like Moana's character but katong waves bitaw sa trailer is ever moooore cuter (oo bahalag redundant, the waves deserve it haha!) I wanna watch this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wanted to watch this at Robinsons as well. It's a good thing that you enjoyed this one. Nice stories make me wanna make a nice story as well.

    ReplyDelete