RAMZY REVIEWS: "Kimi No Na Wa (Your Name)"


Mitsuha is the daughter of the mayor of a small mountain town. She's a straightforward high school girl who lives with her sister and her grandmother and has no qualms about letting it be known that she's uninterested in Shinto rituals or helping her father's electoral campaign. Instead she dreams of leaving the boring town and trying her luck in Tokyo. Taki is a high school boy in Tokyo who works part-time in an Italian restaurant and aspires to become an architect or an artist. Every night he has a strange dream where he becomes...a high school girl in a small mountain town.


The last film I saw from director Makoto Shinkai was 5 Centimeters Per Second, which I would say is one of the most beautiful and mesmerizing films I've ever seen, much less that of animated features, and "Kimi No Na Wa" really lives up to that same standard of quality from the Japanese director, from heartfelt smiles to crying the for like the nth time within the last half hour of the movie or so. The signature metaphorical use of trains, the idea of a hopeless and distant love, and beautiful scenery really dive you emotionally into the story, even for how bare and familiar it may seem. And of course, the spectacular animation that was prevalent during the entire movie. 

Image result

The film's beauty lies in its cognition to stir one's imagination with its strange and lingering hand-drawn animation, like the opening scene of missiles rocketing and penetrating through clouds and falling through the sky as if they were fireworks. It really has quite a lot to offer its viewers. Although its story might not be of the same pedestal-level quality that its art is, it still manages to deliver just enough that you would not feel bad about watching it at all. 

Just to sum it all up, I personally feel that this would fit right in with the roster of feature films that Studio Ghibli makes. It's quite the adventure onto a world pulsing with mystery, rich atmosphere, and visual wonder. A journey about growth, resilience and overcoming what might seem like overwhelming odds. A journey about how humanity and their emotions transcend even that of space, time and fate. A journey that is probably one of the most captivating animated movie experiences I've had in quite a long while. I've been noticing the hype surrounding this film for a while now. Maybe a couple of months or so, And I would say that as always, one should try their best to go in with as least expectations as they can, but even then, I can say that the movie may still manage to live up to it. 

 Personal rating: 8.5/10

Check out my social-network accounts for more cool stuff!
            




Share:

14 comments

  1. I've been seeing this up on my newsfeed and if people are really talking about this, then maybe it is that good. But like you said, we must watch without any high expectations so that we wouldn't be bummed at the end. Thanks for this Ram. Though I've seen, heard about this before, I've never really grasped anything relating to the movie. Atleast I know a little bit about it and what it may bring. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Halaahhh, seems like something I would watch. I like movies with interesting animations. I'm not gonna keep my hopes up but I'll put this on my to-watch list to see for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will ask my boyfriend to get me a copy of this soon hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one movie that I'm looking for a copy! Unfortunately, haven't heard it in the cinema for the past few months. This is one amazing movie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hohoho! Another great animated movie I should watch! Apil kog kuha ug copy bi. Hahahahaha

    Nice review, by the way! The movie looks like a Studio Ghibli film jud.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Japanese animated movies are making big waves this year! Everyone has been talking about it for quite some time. This one, I've been seeing in my Facebook feed plenty of times. Wish you'd share a copy. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just recently watched this. It's a great anime gyod. The power of imagination and science fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  8. huhuh. So sad, can't relate this because I am not into Japanese animated movies/shows.But, you have a nice review Ramz. I will refer this to my friends who are fond of this type of movies :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a copy of this one already but it turns out to be corrupted thus my excitement to watch it over the weekend was like..... ____

    But definitely, I will watch this soon after having another copy. Good review though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whut. 8.5 rating? My friends gave it as 10/10. I haven't watched the movie yet but I am planning this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not sure if I'd find a copy for this for my daughter...the partner and I barely have time to watch movies. Hahaha. But it does look really great especially graphics-wise (those electric posts look real). Plus it reminds me of Japanese language learning days. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! Another animated film nga the same sa ones nga ako na watch like 5 Centimeters Per Second. Based on your ratings, it's a must watch! Mangayo kog copy please! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the concept of these Jaspanese and Korean writers. I really want to make similar stories. Stories that can make people cry or at least feel sad or happy. Hopefully, we will push though with our 2017 project.

    ReplyDelete