THE MECHANICAL KEYBOARD: A LOVE LETTER




"Mechanical keyboards! What are those?!"
- Is a question that I get asked almost every single time I mention those two words to anyone not already familiar with them. If you've known me for a while, you may already be aware of my deep and passionate love for these kinds of instruments for typing. And if you've been a victim of my almost-propagandist ways of preaching the glory that are mechanical keyboards, then you may already have tried the yourself even, and by now, properly understand the love and hype that I, among lots of other people have for them. Bottom-line is, they just feel really good. I mean, really, REALLY good.


One way to put it is that it's a luxury sort of thing. It's like choosing a fancy car over a simple car. The fancier car will typically give a smoother ride and as a bonus, even look better. Mechanical keyboards feel so much better than normal rubber domes that you typically find in offices, schools, common internet cafe's and a bunch of other places; the tactile feedback and sound feedback makes typing every single letter feel amazing. It's definitely something that you just have to try for yourself. It's just one of those quality of life things where you might not think about it that much initially, but once you get it then you start to understand why people like it and you're more likely not to go back to what you already had. Of course your mileage is going to vary depending on who you are, you might not end up liking it at all at which point you could probably just sell it. It also doesn't hurt that these things are really durable and you're able to customize the design and color of the keycaps, and case to your liking.


There really isn't anything out there that feels quite like a mechanical keyboard does. When you go to work tomorrow, pick up your keyboard. Does it feel solid? How solid? Do you feel like it will last you five or more years without fail or do you think that it will break within the next two? When you type on it does it feel like you're mashing the keys to actuate a key press? Do you feel like you're missing strokes because it didn't actuate properly? These issues are something that virtually doesn't exist on a mechanical board. You're paying through the nose for some of these boards because you know they're going to be quality. They're going to look great, feel amazing and stay that way for a long long time.


Do take a bit of your time to watch the video above as it really does solidify the point I was trying to get across with this post even further. :)

 Check out my social-network accounts for more cool stuff!
            

Tags:

Share:

15 comments

  1. I've never tried using Mechanical Keyboards because I commonly use A4Tech keyboards in our office haha.. where can I try these?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not really a techy person but my partner say this is actually a better type than the ordinary ones. Haha! Honestly Im don't even know that we have different types of keyboards. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess we have the gaming/multimedia keyboard whatsoever at home. Lol. I kinda like the sound feedback of it too. I'm, most of the time, a cheapskate when it comes to tech so it's no surprise I didn't quite agree on purchasing a mechanical one. Maybe when budget permits next time, I'll look into it especially that my current job requires lots of typing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, it's sort of funny cause I never heard about this kind of keyboard, I don't even know it existed. I'll surely check this soon. Thank you for elucidating it very well that made me want to change my office keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I will love the sound of typing in a mechanical keyboard. I used to love hearing that back in my dev days although now that I'm a writer, I will hear more of it! Haha! Music to the creative ears!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How much ni and where to get one? Looks cool! Music to the ears gyod bitaw ang sound sa keyboard... how much more sa mechanical! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. My partner says that these keyboards are better, and it has this very satisfying sound to the ears. Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  8. As much as I appreciate your love of mechanical keyboards, I think that less and less people will actually use them. Some laptop makers are leaning towards portability and that would mean one of two things: the battery gets smaller and the keyboard has to adapt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard about this up until now. I just use a regular one and it works just fine I guess. Wouldn't mind looking for one in a store to really see the difference myself. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I usually use the normal/ usual keyboard as it is just the kind of keyboard needed in our work. Maybe for personal use, I can have this kind of shot with a partner taking photos of Me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know there are mechanical keyboards. Hahhaa. Well, this is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mechanical keyboard keys use springs/latches instead of movable variable capacitors that displaces the capacitor plates to charge then discharge (1's and 0's) since there will be a decrease or increase of capacitive reactance.

    Learned something new. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. When you let me type on one of them, I love the sound. I actually love the sensation of typing. I love typewriters. Keyboards? not so much, until the day you let me type some letters on your awesome keyboard. Dili man siya dali maguba sah?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ever since you've introduced me to mech keyboards, na interested ra daun ko! Wala pod jud ko nag huna2 nga keyboards would increase productivity until I've tried mechs! Mura kog si the flash maka type gud hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I normally take these for granted and your post made me a bit understand your love affair with your mechies. Jullian has his apples and you got your keyboards. Diversity is wonderful! ;)

    ReplyDelete