FLICK #6-A: "Kumiko The Treasure Hunter" - 52 FLICKS FOR 52 WEEKS

FLICK #6-A: "Kumiko The Treasure Hunter"

So last week I saw 5 movies in a matter of a day and a half....which renders me utterly clueless as to how I'm gonna go about my "1 movie a week" rule when they all made enough of an imprint on me to elicit certain opinions and make me want to write what I think about them overall. I was thinking of two ways to go with this, but ultimately decided to go the route I will be taking now! To make a separate post for each movie! I'll try to keep each review as brief as possible as to not make this look like a series of scientific research papers. Let's do this!
 A jaded Japanese woman discovers a hidden copy of Fargo (1996) on VHS, believing it to be a treasure map indicating the location of a large case of money.
First and foremost, the main and sole pull of this movie for me was hearing about it more than a year ago and also reading that it was based on the true story of a Japanese woman who died in Minnesota back in 2001 in search of the suitcase filled with money portrayed in the Coen Brothers 1996 film "Fargo". Just hearing about that unfortunate premise made me very intrigued about the movie to say the least. 

Now, it was a bit off-putting to find out that this was actually more of a soul-crushing tragedy than a quirky character adventure that its trailer almost-misleadingly evokes. You actually get to find this out in the first few minutes as we get to see the movie's central figure of narrative (who is wonderfully played by Rinko Kikuchi of such films as "Pacific Rim" and "Babel") living a mundane and monotonous life while facing pressure from different sides. The soundtrack is either absent or dauntingly ominous which sets the mood excellently which when paired with the most remarkable cinematography I've seen in a movie in a while, strongly invokes an overwhelming and haunting sense of alienation of a completely delusional woman  trying to grasp escapism in her own desperate ways. Overall, it really did feel like a trip inside the head of a mentally-ill person. While she appears quirky and endearing externally, her inner thoughts and experiences were the complete opposite and profoundly miserable. She runs away from every person in the film that attempts to reach out to her which in the end, results in her tragic fate.


Personal rating: 7.5/10

Follow me:

   

Share:

0 comments