FLICK #3: "The Big Short " - 52 FLICKS FOR 52 WEEKS



























I'll be honest right off the bat, I actually went in this movie without knowing anything about it. Sounds crazy, right? Well, if you're like me, seeing the top-billing names on that poster alone would've probably made you want to see the film regardless of any context about its story whatsoever. All I knew beforehand was that it was an Oscar-nominated, highly-acclaimed movie starring Christian Bale, Ryan Gosling, Brad Pitt, and Steve Carrell, So it was a bit off-putting at first to witness the story be elucidated and find out on the spot that it was actually about the fall of the American housing market and economy in 2007 and the four (well, there were actually more of them, the four on the poster are just the biggest names) financial experts who foresaw the bursting of the US housing market bubble years before it all went down and how they reacted and what they did in response. Also surprising was finding out that it was actually a biographical drama with a bit of dark comedy whilst gradually trying to get a feel of the movie. All of which are probably my favorite parts of going in a film blind aside from knowing that it's actually good and I'm not gonna be wasting my time watching it.

With all of that out of the way, let us get on with my thoughts on the movie itself! Well, I'd like to first point out how well-acted this movie was. Everyone was playing stellar roles while still being very humanized, relatable and ultimately--believable, particularly Bale and Carell. The downfall did not occur in a vacuum, it wasn't just America's economy that crashed but along with it, a substantial part of the whole world as well. Which is why it's a time everyone will despise to relive. But with "Anchorman" director Adam McKay helming the project, the situation turns into a snarky, whip-smart comedy that is hard not to enjoy albeit the tragic situation that the movie leads up and culminates to. The "payoff" that these guys get during the anticlimax was really well-executed in my opinion, because despite all of them being right about the downfall of the economy, the crisis was very far from being a happy ending, there was no big "I TOLD YOU SO!" or anything, the movie simply conveys the mixed emotions that arose from that ordeal and did it excellently. A very harrowing, yet entertaining retelling of such a world-changing disaster. Would highly recommend.

Now, every movie you will see in this review series will probably be recommended by me as again, I try to always find out if a movie is worth watching in the first place before I actually invest any time on it. How exactly do I do that? Well, I'm actually thinking of writing something about the process itself and how my taste and standards got molded into what it is today (sounds highly-pretentious, I know, but couldn't think of any better way to put it). So that might come soon!

The movie is an 8.5/10 for me. :)

 IMDB


Follow me:
   

Share:

0 comments