BOOK #1 - "The Catcher in the Rye" - 12 BOOKS FOR 12 MONTHS

A definite classic, and a recurrent part of the American literature curriculum (but virtually unheard of in ours), J.D. Sallinger's "The Catcher In The Rye" has managed to stand the test of time having been published way back in 1951--which of course, holds true for all pieces of art or literature that truly possess profound and timeless wisdom and empathetic relevance for all who happen to stumble upon it.


A controversial novel originally published for adults, it has since become popular with adolescent readers for its themes of teenage angst and alienation. It has been translated into almost all of the world's major languages. Around 250,000 copies are sold each year with total sales of more than 65 million books. The novel's protagonist Holden Caulfield has become an icon for teenage rebellion. The novel also deals with complex issues of identity, belonging, loss, and connection.

The very first time I was ever introduced to this book and read it was around 5-6 years ago, which I guess you could say would put me in the age where I could've probably related with the story's protagonist the most. Well, in a lot of ways--yes, I found his snarky interior monologues and thoughts about the encounters taking place in his adolescent life to be quite relatable and something to be even envious of actually, to be that age with that much freedom to roam around arguably the world's capital, New York? Albeit, he didn't really have the best time so-to-speak, but nonetheless, that would've been a fucking amazing undertaking to have lived through. But lest--as a mere reader, I only got to experience it through Holden's perspective, living through him vicariously page by page. I'm gonna be honest, I only had 3 different sessions reading this, each no longer than an hour being that I am soooo damn busy these past few weeks with all the things going on in my life right now--something I didn't really consider before committing to this but hey! I'm here and I'm doing it so yeah! Anyway, back to my point just a while ago--I didn't really get to finish it, only got more than halfway through, but my memory's good enough and have read enough of the book to get a grip of the book's feel and remember how the story goes. That being said, it is still quite something to read. It's really relatable to read during your teenage years definitely because you'll be all like "Oh yeah! This Holden kid definitely gets me!". But years later, you'll most probably find yourself going like "Oh wow...this Holden kid is such a little prick.". Gaining wisdom through experience and getting older certainly brings a whole 'nother perspective to reading this tale of a young wannabe-independent smartass boy swagging through 1950's New York. And I'll be damned if it isn't as engaging and reflective as I first laid hands on it.

   



Share:

0 comments